Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mom, I know that Santa isn't real...


Ouch! These words hit me like a Mack truck. I couldn't believe it! Just this past Christmas E. was eagerly anticipating Santa's arrival like R. I do recall her telling me that some kid her class mentioned to her that there was no such thing as Santa. Curious to her reaction, I watched her closely and thought everything was cool. This just came totally out of the blue...


Well, E and I were sitting on the couch last night and she was wiggling her newest loose tooth and apparently pondering the fact that she knew there was no tooth fairy (she learned that some time ago), so I guess it was just a matter of time before she realized Santa was just a fairy tale. I almost wanted to cry! My first born has it all figured out now. I guess in a way it's a relief so now I don't have to pretend (at least with her!) and she can feel a part while we still keep it from R. Sigh. Such a sad time for me....


However, I was quick to ask, "Well, since you know there's no tooth fairy and no Santa, do you still believe there's a Jesus?" Now, E. has been saved (2005) and baptized already, but I still felt compelled to ask this question. Mainly, because my mother shared with me many years ago that she never wanted to instill belief in Santa to me (my dad did it mostly) because she feared I would one day feel the same about Jesus. Her answer was an undeniable "yes!" She looked at me as if I was foreign for asking such a question. I was glad. But this Christmas is gonna be weird!!